A World-Class Business Education in a Single Volume
Master the Art of Business
2nd Edition, Revised & Expanded
Cognitive Scope Limitation
“One death is a tragedy. A million deaths is a statistic.” — Kurt Tucholsky, German satirist
- The Cognitive Scope Limitation is the way we simplify the reality when it becomes too overwhelming for the mind. This is what happens when you walk on Times Square: you can’t possibly feel emotionally connected to so many strangers.
- It’s not possible to expand the scope of information in our minds, we just can’t handle so much reality.
- Personalizing an issue is the best way to overcome this limitation. It helps to personalize decisions by imagining they affect someone close to us.
Questions for Consideration:
- How can you personalize the results of actions or decisions that affect people outside of your immediate circle of peers?
- How can you remember to use the ‘newspaper rule’ and ‘grandchild rule’ before making major decisions that affect others?
Share this concept: